Personal History

My name is Phillip Earl Oakes.  I was born on Sept. 28 1941 in Lawton Oklahoma to Maurice and Margaret Oakes.  My father was a plumber and my mother's family ran a hotel and cabins in Medicine Park, Ok.  They soon moved to Tulsa, Ok. where I was raised.  My father worked at the D-X refinery (now Sunoco) and my mother was a housewife.  I have three younger brothers.  My youngest brother Clifford died in 1992.

In Sept. of 1946 my parents purchased a one room house on west Brady in Tulsa.  They still live at that address today, however in a house that my father built after I left home.  I attended Mark Twain Elementary School, Roosevelt Jr. High and Central High School.

In the early 50's our family started to attend Westside Christian Church.  On March 8, 1953 my father and I were baptized and accepted God's grace.  My father became an elder and member of the Church board.  Both of my parents were very active in the church and both taught Sunday School classes.  This church split in my early High School years and my father was very much involved in the formation of Osage Hills Christian Church.  Although retired they are still active at Osage Hills and my father is very proud of the many Ministers he had in his Sunday School boys classes over the years.  This set me on a path to become a minister and I planned to be a missionary to Africa.

In 1959 after graduation from High School I enrolled at Ozark Bible College in Joplin Mo.  My college roommate (Harold Sorrels) and I had a very rough year and both had to give up our dreams.  I married in 1960 to Judy Barbough a High School sweetheart.  On Aug. 8, 1961 we were blessed with a baby girl Janette Joy Oakes.  My only child.

I went to work for Bovard Supply Co. as a Mail clerk and part time printer.  Here I made two life long friends.  Ray Odom, my boss, and George Lair, a print service technician.  Ray helped me through some tough early years and I replaced him as head of the printing dept.  Ray is a member of our church now at Northside Christian in Broken Arrow, Ok.  I thought George had the best job I could think of and started to try and find a service technician job so I could have as much fun as he had.  In a few years all three of us worked for A M Corp. (Addressograph Multilith Corp.).  Ray in sales, George as my boss at service manager and myself servicing Word processing equipment.

My marriage to Judy failed in 1968.  My daughter Jan lived with her mother for a few years and came to live with me when she was thirteen.  She married and had two sons, Matt and Brandon Kelley.  Brandon died in 2003,  Matt has two sons Connor and Corbin Kelley.

In 1975 I met Jean Cardwell on a trip to Joplin Mo. and found a partner for life.  Our family's were so similar and had the same values.  We were married in 1980.  She has been my help in all I have done since we met.  We purchased Performance Parts & Fuel in 1990 and have both worked to manage it.  We love to take care of the great grand sons, Connor and Corbin, when we can.  We work in the Northside Christian Church in any way we can.  

I have always been involved in auto racing and in 1979 decided to open an auto parts store.  With a racing friend, Curtis Edens, we opened Ace Auto Parts specializing in racing parts.  After ten years in the auto parts business my wife and I bought our own store selling only racing parts and fuel.

We have known Al and Velma Corson through Northside Christian Church for many years.  Al and I share a love for things mechanical.  He helped me race for a few years.  We also share a desire to serve the Lord and he has challenged and taught me.  Through them I may see dreams come true.